Thread: Ju 88 G-7
View Single Post
Old 5th December 2012, 13:37
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road
Ju 88 G-7

Hello all,

As you may know, I have published photos of a captured Ju 88 G-7 fuselage in my book "Captured Eagles Vol. I". To my knowledge, these photos were the first ones published that actually showed a Ju 88 G-7, but they showed an incomplete fuselage without wings or engines.

As far as I know there is still no known photo of a Ju 88 G-7 with wings and engines. I read that two Ju 88 G-7 were destroyed at Brandenburg-Briest on the ground.

Now, by chance, I discovered photos that may show the remains of two Ju 88 G-7s. If so, they would be the first ones of their kind. As I plan to publish them in my Volume II of "Captured Eagles", I obviously can't show them here (thank you for your understanding), but I can describe them to you: the photo shows two Ju 88 Gs. One is lacking its radar nose cone and engines, but it seems that it has the same wings as Ju 188s (although that may be a misinterpretation by me and I need to compare the photos with Ju 188 photos in more detail). And there are the remains of a burnt Ju 88 G that clearly has Jumo 213E attached, but not traces of any propeller. The tail is visible, but unfortunately the photo is not sharp enough to read the serial number.

My guess is that these are two Ju 88 G that were being completed (or converted from standard G-6s) as Ju 88 G-7, but were destroyed before the airfield was captured.

Were there any other Ju 88 G-6 with Jumo 213E? If not, the photo is most likely the first one to be published that shows two more or less complete Ju 88 G-7 (apart from the fuselage shots in my first volume).

Is anything known about conversions of Ju 88 G-6s to G-7 at Dessau? Dessau may have been the airfield where the photos were taken, but I need to do some more research to be sure.

Cheers,

Roger
www.vintageeagle.com