View Single Post
Old 26th May 2017, 14:51

JYoung is on a distinguished road
Re: Tainan Ku questions

Hi Michel

> Seaman 1C “Mifukaza” SHIMADA
Your Japanese is excellent!! I did not think of that pronunciation. Additionally, in my experience “Mifukazu” is better to suit the Chinese characters of SHIMADA’s given name than “Mifukaza.”

> 13 Jan. 1942 air combat from the kôdôchôsho’s view
Tainan Air Group carried out air patrols over a convoy anchorage and Tarakan airfield during day time. The 3rd shift (PO1 Toyo-o SAKAI, PO2 Tamotsu(not Tomatsu) NISHIOKA and PO3 Toshiyuki ICHIKI) took off 0930 hrs. (“I” time = GMT + 9 hrs.). At 1120 hrs. over the convoy anchorage they intercepted three twin-engine bombers who were attacking convoy. SAKAI shot down two of them, NISHIOKA shot down one but probable. They returned to the base at 1335 hrs.

The 4th shift (LTJG Katsutoshi KAWAMADA, PO2 Hideo IZUMI and PO3 Shôsaku MINATO) took off 1100 hrs. At 1400 hrs. over the convoy anchorage they intercepted three twin-engine bombers with the 5th shift. They shot down one bomber shared with the 5th shift. Kôdôchôsho does not describe when the 4th shift returned to the base.

The 5th shift (PO1 Toshiyuki SAKAI, PO2 Gisuke ARITA and PO3 Takeo KUME) took off 1230 hrs. At 1410 hrs. they joined the air combat with the 4th shift, and shot down one shared with the 4th shift. PO1 SAKAI alone shot down another one. They returned to the base at 1715 hrs.

Source: “Tainankű hikôkitai kôdôchôsho” Japan Center for Asian Historical Records < https://www.jacar.archives.go.jp/aj/meta/detail-en > reference code: C08051601500, 50th, 51st images.

> My post box
There’s nothing wrong.

Best regards,
JY