View Single Post
Old 4th June 2007, 11:34

mickyz is on a distinguished road
2641st Special Group plane found in italy

2641st Special Group plane found in italy
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,
a plane, believed to be a C-47 but later identified as a B-24, has been found in the italian Alps 35 kms north of Bergamo, northern italy.
Mixed with other plane parts used to compare the pieces (as the drop tank and the C-47 engine) here are some pics of the wreck: http://www.hoteladamello.it/marcopera/resti%20aereo/
Notice the olive drab paint on the wing and the star without bar.
I think it was an early version B-24, the plane hit the mount Pezzadello in an undefined date of october 1944, around 17:00 pm.
The plane was loaded with drop canisters, SMG, ammunition, canned beef and a lot of italian lire money.
The few witness remember at least 12/14 bodyes found around the crash site, some of these have an Italian-american name (may be OSS agents?). Looking information about the special operations groups losses, i have found this information:

date 4.10.44 - B24 s.n. 42-40697 - 885 BS, 2641st Spl Gp USAAF - Lt Sloan, Pilot - Northern Italy a/c crashed Northern Italy - Crew & 3 agents killed

I'll get the MACR, but waiting the macr anyone is able to give me some infos about Lt. Sloan, his plane and his mission? Thanks in advance

Mick