View Single Post
Old 8th October 2009, 19:00
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: KG40 & Convoy HX.84 November 1940

Brian/All

As I said I am working on a more comprehensive answer regarding Swedish merchant fleet structures during WW2.
The MAIN point to remember is this.
When WW 2 broke out about 50% of the Swedish tonnage ended up OUTSIDE the Skagerack barrier/block. Those outside was NOT part of the so called Safe Conduct Traffic (Lejdtrafiken in Swedish). These vessels did not paint their sides as per the regulations stipulated by the Germans and they also could "do what they wanted" as long as they had
a) Their shipping line on their side
b) No hassle from the Swedish Government.

When Vingaland was sunk she was sailing for Britain with British cargo. She was on the way to Glasgow from Halifax with a load of steel and general cargo.

It was then of course natural that Vingaland sailed in the convoys arranged by Britain at the time. Vingaland had made at least one journey for Britain before that when she sailed in convoy HG-31 from Gibraltar to Liverpool 23.5.40 to 2.6.40 with a load of general cargo.
At least five other Swedish vessels were sailing for Britain inside the convoys of HG-31 and HX-84.

That means that those vessels OUTSIDE the blockade simply took their chances just like any other British/Allied vessel in the convoy.

I did not know that before and somehow it feels pretty good that we did "something" for the Allied cause, even if the main reason was money...
I don't envy those sailers sailing for any Nation during WW 2. They were a brave lot who just took their punishment face up and those who died are just remembered as statistics today. They were a brave lot....

Those Swedish vessel who negotiated a safe conduct passage were not allowed to enter any of the warring parties harbours and could not sail with any other nations vessels.

Cheers
Stig