View Single Post
Old 19th December 2014, 17:06

Arsenal VG-33 is on a distinguished road
Re: The Bf 109 losses in Spanish Civil War: verified and unverified

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerraCivil View Post
The Bf 109 B-D was little faster to my knowledge compared to I-16 type 5/6/10 - IIRC, about 30-40 kph faster (depending on the source) and the high altitude advantage gave also some tactical benefit. The Bf 109 hit and run tactics in such were nothing special innovation, but just one example of the again and again "reinvented wheel" of the pilots of fast and well diving fighters against slower and better maneuverable enemy planes. There was little point to seek aerobatic performance contest with Bf 109 against I-16/I-15.
First, i don't think that it's much relevant to compare absolute speed values for planes without altitude indication, secund tu compare datasheets and real serial planes.
For instance the Cyclone F-54 fitted I-16 was running at 480 km/h at 5 km, whilst from SL to 3000 m it had exactly the same speed as the Shvestov's one. ( about 390-400 to 445-455 at 3 km)
Secund, the early I-16 tip 5 datasheet is as much optimistic as Bf-109's one with 420 km/h at SL and 460 at hight.
BTW, I-16 tip 6 had never existed, while soviet tested real Me-109 6 + 15 never exceed 380 km/h at groud and 422 at hight.

We will see it later in another thread about the subject.

Quote:
Leaving the claim record issue aside, I think Falcós way to respect the memory of Windemuth was a real gentleman effort.
Leaving Falco's behavior aside, thre were certainly 2 pilot's and 109E losses in november the 6th near Villajuega. Nimringer was taken out from his plane and barried in communal Villajuega's cemetery by remaining airfield staff. His later faith is unknown to me.
All from the famous historian Arraez Cerda's book, who cannot frankly be considered as an republican sympathiser!

Regards