View Single Post
Old 27th May 2019, 08:06
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
MACR System

The MACR system officially started on July 1, 1943. It must be noted that these reports are for Missing Air Crewmen, not missing/destroyed Aircraft. Some units filed MACRs for losses that occurred a month or two previous. But from July 1 onwards, there should be a MACR for any crewman who failed to return, but it is not guaranteed. For example, on August 12, 1944, in preparation for the invasion of Southern France, the 332nd FG lost five aircraft: Johnson (DED), Daniels (POW), Jefferson (POW), Macon (POW), Gordon (KIA). Of these, only Johnson has a MACR (7469). The MACR form was filled out in duplicate (five or more copies), with five copies to be sent to AAF HQ in Washington. The bomber groups frequently have a copy of the MACR with their mission reports, along with supporting documents. I have not yet found an MACRs with any fighter group reports. I have found two otherwise "lost" MACRs in the IDPF for crewmembers. What I suspect has happened with the missing MACRs above for the 332nd FG is that they were mailed in one package to Washington, and lost en route. I do not know if they were sent by ship or by plane. Once a MACR got to Washington it would be assigned a number (this is an assumption, but I think it would be impossible for a given numbered Air Force to assign a number and avoid duplication by a different numbered Air Force.)

With regard to the wildly out of sequence MACR numbers, these would be prepared long after the event. They would be triggered by a letter from a parent or widow a year or more later, typically all the way to the top to Gen. Arnold, asking for information on the casualty. This would result in the request being passed down the chain of command, back to the casualty's unit, asking for a report "like a MACR" on the situation, which usually meant that an actual MACR form was used (which is why some MACRs cover a casualty who is not in fact missing). Frequently these late MACRs are incomplete, missing the aircraft, engine and machine gun serials. This is because, a year or more after the event, the unit may not have those old records. Possibly lost, possibly sent off to storage, or sent back to the US.

For those using Fold3 to obtain MACRs, there are frequent cases where the MACR exists, but cannot be found there. Anytime three sequential MACRs are missing, you can assume that they were all on the same microfiche card, which they failed to process. There is also an entire block of MACRs from 3479 to 3724 that are missing from Fold3. NARA is in the process of loading the MACRs from Fold3 into their online catalog. They intend to digitize the missing MACRs and load them as well, but the timeframe is not stated.

I might also note that the "year and a day" late casualty dates are a US judicial system standard. A year and a day after someone "goes missing", they can be legally declared dead (DED in military terms) and their will can be probated, as well as other legal steps.

Enjoy!

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Olynyk; 27th May 2019 at 08:10. Reason: Year and a day note