View Single Post
Old 15th January 2014, 23:51

RodM will become famous soon enough
Re: Is this a true statement about the B24?

Hi Tony,

by way of example, following are some paraphrased translations of Luftwaffe situation reports and civil defence reports relating to damage from Allied air attacks. These are just what I have on-hand and the Luftwaffe source of the translations was comprehensive for the period Feb-Apr 1945 (i.e. it is only possible to quote from those German/Luftwaffe sources that survived the wholesale destruction of records prior to the capitulation):

24 February 1945 - Bremen
A U-boat was sunk at the A.G. Weser works of Deschimag

11 March 1945 - Bremen
The Weser AG was most seriously damaged....it was not possible to estimate the decrease of production at the time of the report

30 March 1945 - Bremen
At the A.G. Weser most severe damage was reported to buildings and material. Seven U-boats were sunk and another severely damaged.

17 January 1945 - Hamburg
Severe damage was caused to the following firms:
Blohm & Voss, Steinwaerder...destroyed No 7 Ship Construction workshop and electrical crane installations, Heavy damage was caused to a number of workshops etc etc

7-8 March 1945 - Hamburg
At Blohm & Voss a 75 ton floating crane was sunk and severe damage was caused to a number of workshops and plant.

11 March 1945 - Hamburg
Blohm & Voss was hit...destroying...a tools store, a 250 ton crane, and a 3000 cu. metre. gas container. A number of workshops and the oxygen and hydrogen plant were severely damaged and 3 U-boats were also damaged. A number of ships in the dock at the Howaldt Works were sunk, including a U-boat and lifting tackle which capsized.

20 March 1945 - Hamburg
Blohm & Voss suffered severe damage. In the harbour a mine-sweeper and 2 other vessels were sunk and 2 U-boats damaged.

30 March 1945 - Hamburg
Blohm & Voss and the Deutsche Werft were the chief targets hit...two U-boats were sunk and 4 capsized.

8-9 April 1945 - Hamburg
Among the targets hit were Thenania-Ossag, Blohm & Voss, Deutsche Werft etc, etc. At Blohm & Voss...serious damage to all parts of the yard and dock installations and a salvage vessel. Several boats were sunk, including 3 U-boats and a further 5 were damaged. The shipyards of Howaldt A.G. were hit...and widespread damage was caused to various departments. One U-boat was severely damaged and two capsized while two floating docks were sunk. The U-boat bunker was also severely damaged.

9 April 1945 - Hamburg
The U-boat pens Nos 1, 2 & 5 at the Deutsche Werft in Finkenwaeder were pierced by several H.E. bombs.

I have no pretence in understanding how these quoted reports affected production of the Elektroboote, and due to my limited knowledge on the subject of Elektroboote production have only included info on the prime shipbuilders and not sub-contracted component manufacturers. Compilations of similar sourced and translated German reports for bombing in the years 1943 and 1944 are available as AHB translations from TNA, Kew. These translations are limited to major raids only (i.e. were the number of participating aircraft and/or bomb load carried was significant enough for inclusion in the compilations).

regards

Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcolvin View Post
The only damage to U-boats on the stocks was by the USAAF, which destroyed two Type VII in one raid, not to be repeated. Wilhelmshaven became a supplier of Type XXI sections which were barged to Vegesack. As far as I know not one was damaged by bombing. Tony