View Single Post
Old 14th January 2007, 22:27

kolya1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Soviet Hurricanes - where, when, ...?

Hi,

I won't enter much in the subject, but only post a remark about comparative tests, I don't know how they were conducted in Yugoslavia but the French also tested the Yak-3s they had received from the USSR against the Spitfire IX, and the result was that, at 5,000 ft the Yak climbed faster, was faster in horizontal flight, mostly equal in horizontal maneuvering, but that it couldn't follow the turn if the Spit's pilot, with full power engaged, pulled a climbing turn as hard as he could, "hanging to the propeller at 120 kts/h"...

The picture seems to have been roughly the same at least up to 4000 m.

This mostly seems to correspond to the Yugoslav's test, but it may be remembered that if turning hability made a slower aircraft equivalent to a faster one, then an I-15 would be equal to a FW-190D...

Comparison tests were made by air forces with what they had, but if you look for an aircraft comparable to the Spitfire V, I think a Yak-1 or Yak-7 would be a better choice.

What must also be remembered is that Eastern Front condidtions, AFAIK, led mostly to tactical air combat at much lower level that in the West, and that aircraft suited to fighting at 8000 m are not necessarily good at 2000 m, and the other way around...

Regards,

Kolya.