View Single Post
Old 15th May 2012, 23:09

Observer1940 is on a distinguished road
Re: Probable E/a by P/O Denby, 600 Sqn night 27/28 Sept 1940

Hello Peter

Part of your report stated:-

"Reported that an enemy aircraft was down in the sea near Hastings. This enemy aircraft may have been the original machine sighted and pilot the picked up another bandit returning home. Pilot states on second chase enemy aircraft was much slower whereas previously Blenheim was overtaking at a rate of 5 mph his aircraft was gaining rapidly in subsequent chase.”

Looking at the Interceptions table:-
1. some rows only have one engagement.
2. whereas several rows have two engagements (one under the other) indicated as (i) and (ii) within the same row, but with differing results.

Because there are differing "results" in other rows between engagements (i) and (ii) would suggest two separate aircraft being engaged.

Regarding your 900 Report, "900/40" in the Whitehall Table I have photocopied from AIR 2/8542 it states for engagement:-

(i) S. of Sheppey location - "Believed destroyed."
(ii) S. of Hastings location - was blank when the table was compiled and copy sent to Fighter Command.

The December 1940 Fighter Command letter is stating that it is sending the information omitted on the Interceptions table that Fighter Command had received from Air Ministry Whitehall. If this is the case, then engagement:-

(i) is "Believed destroyed"
(ii) is "One e/a damaged."

Bear in mind, that the claimant did not see the aircraft (i) crash into the ground, only that the aircraft went into a spiral and became lost, so it would be recorded as "Believed destroyed" and the Table may have been based on early reports of the Pilot, before being confirmed.

The way the Interceptions table is laid out regarding other Interceptions of two aircraft in the same row, does seem to suggest that you have two separate aircraft engaged (albeit in one report) as some of the others have differing results, where there is two engagements in the same row marked (i) and (ii).

Therefore, looking at the table and the Fighter Command letter together, I do not feel that you have the "Believed destroyed" aircraft being downgraded to "One e/a damaged." You have two engaged, one "Believed destroyed" and the other "damaged".

Perhaps the S. Of Sheppey e/a flew some distance before coming down?

Mark