View Single Post
Old 11th August 2012, 18:27

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wright Field Luftwaffe report list, part one

Dear Ed,

Thanks for sharing from this list for us.

As background, the USAAF and US Navy had a joint program to translate captured German documents of interest. While some were likely translated in-house, many were contracted out for translation.

Those reports translated by the Navy or under its supervision were assigned CGD numbers, with CGD standing for "Captured German Document". There were about 1200 or so documents in the Navy's series. A seemingly complete set of these can be found at NARA II.

Those reports translated by the USAAF or under its supervision were assigned F-TS-xxxx-RE numbers. These went into the multi-thousands. Some of the subjects covered were pretty arcane. The only set of which I am aware is in the NY Public Library system.

Many of the original German language reports can be found on microfilm at the NASM Archives at the Udvar-Hazy Center near/at the Dulles Airport in Chantilly, Virginia. These were originally cataloged in volumes identified as The Desk Catalog of Captured German and Japanese Air Technical Documents. The NASM Archives has both a card catalog of the documents and a pretty complete electronic version, although, to the best of my knowledge, the electronic version is only accessible within the NASM's computer network.

Later to the microfiliming of the original documents and subsequent to the translation effort, a new series of documents was created designated ATI-xxxxx with the German original and translation combined into a single document. These are on microfilms and are held at the Defense Technical Information Center which, unfortunately, are only directly accessible by the government or government contractors. The image quality of these microfilms leaves a lot to be desired. Generally, the English translation is more readable than is the German original.

I have spent a lot of time trying to cross index all of these documents. The list is a work in progress. If anyone is interested in obtaining a copy, please contact me by e-mail if you know my address or give me your e-mail address by PM.

Regards,
Richard

Last edited by Richard T. Eger; 11th August 2012 at 23:43.