View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2019, 22:16

schwarze-man is on a distinguished road
Re: List of DB 605A engine construction numbers?

Thank you for posting the pic of the reduction gear housing Tony! Yes, the numbers electro-etched on those bearing components do show the last 4 digits of the engine serial 2842 IMO. The question of the 2826 stamp on the case adjacent to the ID plate remains open. In my experience, re-allocated components on the DB engines had the inappropriate number or part of the number lined through and, the new engine number stamped. I have usually seen this on overhauled or repaired engines. The engine component numbering proceedure applied to nearly all components. Small components often only had the last 3 or 4 numbers and on steel parts, this was often electro etched. Fit tolerance and assembly position was marked on all size-fitted parts. I suspect that that crankcase will also have it's number stamped on the front top area, above the reduction gear housing in this photo, but I can't make it out and, as carefully matched parts all the main bearing caps will probably be stamped with the full engine number.
Overall, I can imagine circumstances where this engine crankcase was re-allocated a slightly later build number, but it is pure conjecture. Also, I really would expect the 2826 number to have at least the "26" lined through and the "42" stamped above. Random stamped numbers like that are unusual.
Thanks very much for posting these pics!

SM

Last edited by schwarze-man; 4th September 2019 at 12:03.