View Single Post
Old 13th April 2024, 17:21

INM@RLM will become famous soon enoughINM@RLM will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Dornier Do 24 Units

Unfortunately I found another slip in my post #7. I missed pointing out that a second, different Stkz. had also been recorded for this same WNr. 5. So probably better I replace the whole of post 7 with the corrected version below.

Part Two is the two references to KD+BH as WNr. 5, both found in the February 1941 KTB (Bundesarchiv, BArch RM 6/187 Kriegstagebuch Oberquartiermeister: Bd. 18)
[There being no other Do 24s in the Mediterranean until the arrival of KK+UL & KK+UP - WNrn. 7 & 11 respectively - on 27th February 1941, and with the presence of KD+BH also being evidenced independently before that date in Flugbuch Tretter by a Platzflug at Syracuse on 24-Feb-41.]

KTB ---# -KTB -----KTB Entry --KTB -----WNr. ----Stkz.
----------Page No. --Date ----Entry Time
Feb-41 -5 -41 -----27-Feb-41 --0900 ----5 ----KD+GE
Feb-41 -6 -45 -----28-Feb-41 --1645 --- 5 ----KD+DE
The second record here lists the names of the crew i.e it came from the personnel side of the business, not the side that dealt with aircraft.

The reason that WNr. 5 is linked here with Stkz. KD+GE & KD+DE though can be quickly deduced.
This is another case of a contracted WNr. since KD+GE is almost certainly the Stkz. that had been painted onto (a photo exists) Avio 75 (which would have become RLM WNr. 2 had it survived long enough to make the transition, instead of becoming a total loss with 1.Seenotflugkdo at Brest on 28-Oct-1940).

As is evident from the second entry above, not all of the Stkz. recorded in the Kriegstagebuch Oberquartiermeister were entirely accurate.

Last edited by INM@RLM; 13th April 2024 at 17:30. Reason: Correction