View Single Post
Old 20th May 2012, 22:53

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road
Re: Hooton's Luftwaffe Loss Totals - request for clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasB View Post
Off topic, but could you do this table for Q4/41 and Q1/42?
Andreas, I can not do that, because the data is from Mr. Hooton's book and his tables do not cover the periods in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasB View Post
On Kew and Duxford/IWM:

My understanding is that any file originating with the British forces is held in Kew. Captured enemy documents are held by the IWM and can be read in Duxford (on appointment), or in London (on appointment, they would be shipped from Duxford). The files in Duxford are the same (as far as I can tell) as the ones held in NARA (they are photostat copies of the NARA files, mostly in poor condition, with the exception of some originals. I do not believe they hold a lot of GAF stuff. You are allowed to use a camera at Duxford, but will likely struggle to do this in the IWM Reading Room in London.

Nick, the tip on the AHB files is supremely helpful - I was wondering where these were held.

I hope this helps.

All the best

Andreas
Thank you for that information, it matches quite closely what my friend, who has contacted the IWM and will be going there soon, has been told. However, there is a discrepancy insofar as the IWM curator has indicated that the Duxford files are duplicates of files in Kew. These may since have been culled from Kew, although that is a guess on my part. My friend and I, if I have some free time, will investigate this further.

Could you look at the private message I sent you?

Regards,

Paul Thompson