View Single Post
Old 18th December 2018, 10:27

schwarze-man is on a distinguished road
Re: Mercedes-Benz DB605 Late War Documentation

Thanks for the encouragement Ed. Yes, your points are valid. I have done research in the vaults at Rolls-Royce (for RR info!) and, it is amazing what isn't there! I have not actually tried DB so I might try them directly but, I know several people who have tried and drew blanks with the technical manuals. As you say, many other museums and archives can hold such info and, I have much material from Kew and Smithsonian etc. However, the technical material for the DB605A/AS that we have is almost all from private owners. The Motor-Handbuch, Ersatzteilliste, Reparatur Anleitung and production instructions/specifications have not usually come from archives and this is why I am asking here. To illustrate the problem with the later DB technical documents, I will point out that by early 1944 onwards, the technical documents from DB were becoming short and with less illustration. The Motoren Handbuch for the DB 605 DM is referred to directly in the Bf109K-4 Flugzeug-Handbuch (Okt/Nov 1944) but, I do not know of a copy anywhere. If anyone knows of German technical documents with late DB605 info, it would be very interesting to hear from them. Thanks!

SM