View Single Post
Old 4th April 2005, 21:00

Smudger Smith
Re: Fighter pilots' guts

Not wishing to fan the flames of an already heated discussion, I have a few simple questions, which hopefully Hawk-Eye will be able to answer.

Firstly, let me make clear I have the greatest respect for the French fighter and bomber pilots who fought so valiantly during the French campaign.

I have read with fascination some of Hawk-Eyes argument, there are some truths in what he has stated, however hindsight is a wonderful thing. My conclusion to the tread is perhaps simplistic however here it is.

The French Airforce was comprehensively defeated; it failed in its prime role, the defence of France. It was not the courage of the French pilot’s, it was not the standard of their aircraft, it was their LEADERSHIP.

With bad leadership comes a loss of moral, the desire to continue the struggle, a loss of fighting spirit.

It was not the British who failed France but the French Generals. Our own generals failed the British in France during 1940, “ Lions led by Donkeys”. Comes to mind.

The RAF moral was not broken, nor the Poles or Czechs, for our leaders made it known that we would continue the struggle to the bitter end, the French sadly lacking this decisiveness did not. This in my opinion would have had a negative effect on French moral.

What I find truly amazing is that the same French pilots who fought with so much panache, skill and typical French zeal basically when ordered gave in, without a whimper. Not only did they surrender themselves they surrendered their aircraft. Inexcusable.

The Poles and the Czechs did not give in; they continued the fight whenever possible, the vast majority of French pilots chose not to.

A question, if with the inevitable collapse of France why did the French Government not order the remnants of the French Airforce to fly and operate from Britain, their Allies ?

They would have made a significant difference to the Battle of Britain, for they the French had proven their fighting ability over France.

France had a simple decision to make, continue the fight or give in and surrender, they chose to surrender. A brave few decided not to, they are a credit to France, and I salute their memory.