Thread: Bf 109 G-6/U4
View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2006, 11:35

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
Re: Bf 109 G-6/U4

Dear Mr. Hopp,

thank you for your kind words and for the time you took to refer to the Tarnewitz report; it is obvious from your message, that my copies are incomplete because some of the facts and data you mentioned are lacking in my copies. Therefore your reply was certainly helpful.

I think that with what we have now we can with good reason assume that the a/c fitted with MK 108 at Tarnewitz - 1st and 2nd pre-series - were in fact the first Bf 109 G-6/U4 to roll off the assembly lines at WNF albeit minus their MK 108, and that it was at E-Stelle Tarnewitz, where these newly developed weapons were to be added to the aircraft. This is born out by the one WerkNr. that is mentioned in one of the weekly reports, which refers to a Bf 109 G-6 that was definitely built at WNF. Only after the more or less successful elimination of the many faults of the early MK 108 with the completion of the 2nd pre-series at Tarnewitz was it possible, to instal the weapons already on the assembly line at WNF and deliver the complete a/c as Bf 109 G-6/U4, which seems to have started with appr. the 60th a/c to be completed.

What would you call this - an educated guess ? Thanks everbody for their help and input so far. There remains the question of losses to aerial attack on the WNF plant.

Regards

Jochen Prien