View Single Post
Old 29th June 2018, 22:19

Icare9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Charles Arthur Copeland Chetham

Yes. dazzled by searchlights and baled out of his Hurricane unharmed
There was a dig in the 1990's to excavate the Hurricane which appears to have been smashed to pieces.

EDIT: In May 1923, his 41 year old mother Dorothy Kay (nee Giles) and sibling Cecil E (other sources state daughter) were travelling from Madras to Weston super Mare aboard the "City of Exeter". Charles's age was shown as being three years old.

On 15 October the Chetham family (mother, daughter Cecil E M and Charles sailed for Bombay on Kaisar I Hind.
Charles was stated as being 10 months old, so very late 1919 or early 1920, and I'd guess that there must be a Birth record somewhere close to W-s-M...

.... which I've now found
Name: Charlos [sic] A C Chetham. Registration Date: 1919 4th Qtr. Registration district: Axbridge, Somerset
Registration Year: 1919. Mother's Maiden Name: Giles. Volume Number: 5c. Page Number: 712.

Her father Arthur Henry Giles, ( a retired Inspector General, Indian Police) died in Axbridge in 1926, so I'm presuming he was born at his grandparents home December 1919.....

Date of Birth confirmed? here http://www.thekingscandlesticks.com/...ees/13131.html
Arthur Henry "Creck" GILES Born: 21 Jun 1839, Attended City of London School Cheapside London
Marriage: Georgina Sophia RUSSELL in 1871 in Calcutta India
Died: 26 Jan 1926, at Westwood Grove Park Rd Weston-Super-Mare Somerset, aged 86 (I'd guess her parental home, as also that was the address on her steamship passages from India.

Last edited by Icare9; 29th June 2018 at 23:02.