View Single Post
Old 7th January 2015, 22:14

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Attack on Eger/Cheb April 1945

Dear Larry and Paul,

I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope that the "A" and "B" reports will have covered Eger/Cheb. Initially, the "A" reports inventoried what was on airfields as they were captured. But, as the war neared its end, the need for this essentially disappeared and thus the reports began covering other subject areas.

While it is possible that somewhere at the AFHRA and NARA II a more or less complete set exists, I have never found it, but rather, incomplete sets of reports. The AFHRA has the early reports and NARA II the later reports.

One of my great disappointments has been the lack of write-ups on Me 262 assembly facilities. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but rather that I've never found them. There are a couple of very short reports on Kahla, but no where near the detail that one would want to find.

What I think was eventually settled upon was to do a USSBS survey report on Messerschmitt, using a reasonably decent report on the forest assembly facilities using Horgau as the prime example. Nor were the writers especially worried about having everything properly identified in the photo section, as some photos actually were taken at the facility at Burgau (Kuno I).

Fortunately, the folks at JaPo have tried to fill in the gap regarding Me 262 production in Czechoslovakia.

If anyone does have leads on post capture intel reports on Me 262 airfields and production facilities, please share this information with us.

Regards,
Richard