View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2005, 08:49

BABIN
Re: Charles Salinsky 355th FG, 337 FS --> mission on 21/24 June 1944

Hello Roger,

Additional information about the strafing of an airfield located close to Angers by 355 FG on 24th of June 1944.

- I confirm both strafings : the first one on the morning (at about 10:00) and the second one, late in the afternoon (an "heavy" attack, from 18:30 to 19:00)

- precise location : 15 km North of Angers ; it was a grass landing field ; name of the place : SOUCELLES

- German unit : 6./ JG 53, equiped with Me 109 ; this unit was based there from 14th June 1944, coming from VANNES.

- in fact, three "Staffeln" from II JG 53 were based in the same area : as I said above, the 6th staffel at SOUCELLES but, too, the 5th at TIERCE and 4th at BRIOLLAY-SOULAIRE (these 3 airfields were distant some kilometers each other's) ; the strafing concerned only SOUCELLES.

- from 22nd of June 1944, the 15th Staffel of the IV JG 27 (other Luftwaffe figther unit) was based, too, in the Angers'area ; I couldn't locate, precisely on which airfield : may be ANGERS-AVRILLE, but may be the satellite airfields as SOUCELLES, TIERCE or BRIOLLAY-SOULAIRE.

- reading the Six Nifty's post which quoted the book "Angels, Bulldogs and Graggons", 355 FG claimed 5 Me 109 (on the morning) and 25 the afternoon, destroyed on the ground during both straffings ; problem : a "Jagd Staffel" of the Luftwaffe in 1944 was equiped (theorical dotation) with 12 aircrafts ; so, even if all the 6./JG 53 and all the 15./JG 27 Me 109 (if these last ones were based at SOUCELLES ...) were destroyed by 355 FG, the amount exceeds the dotation of these both units... you said "overclaim" ?

- in his II JG 53's book, Joachen PRIEN wrote that only two Me 109 were destroyed during this raid ; it's very short ...

- in fact, the 355 FG strafings at SOUCELLES on 24 of June, were nevertheless efficient ; "several" Me 109 were destroyed or damaged : certainly more than two, but certainly less than 30 ; besides, fuel tanks and trucks were destroyed ; and the French authorities weren't authorized to enter the area of the airfield after the afternoon raid, excepted a nurse which treated "many" wounded German soldiers.

- last precision : from the day after (25 June) and till 27 of June, most of the "surviving" Me 109 of II JG 53 withdrew to a Luftwaffe base, in East of France. Too many destroyed Me 109 and unable to be operational ?

Of course, with a so poor english language, you will have understood I'm French. I live in Angers and I did investigate about the Luftwaffe airfields in my area.

I noted, in your last post to Six Nifty, you have (or will have) the original log book of Charles SALINSKY. Could I ask you a favour : to send to me the pages which concern his 24 June mission(s).

Many thanks in advance

Pierre BABIN