View Single Post
Old 14th May 2019, 23:35
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Re: Two dead for 94th BG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC View Post
What book?
Ooops; sorry forgot to paste the book title there... Ghostrwriter is right, it is "Lingering contrails of the big square A".

RSwank, a big thanks, you were far more efficient than me to find this Clemens on the Net (I had an awfully slow Internet those last days that did not help). For findagrave, I searched all Clemens for 1943, but the death date is registered as 19 May 1949, probably a mix of the real death date (19 May 1943) and the year he was reburied in the US. I have already seen this on findagrave.

The 1943 war diary for 401st BS also list the death of Clemens/Clemons on 19 May 1943:
"19 May 1943 – 2nd Lt Scott and T/Sgt. Clemons (94th Bomb Group attached) killed in action."
And then describes that 401st BS sent 3 aircraft for the raid, provides the crew list and there is no Scott nor Clemens/Clemons, and no casualty.

From the entry in April, it seems that Clemens was attached to 401st BS from 94th BG, at least that is how I read it. But the entries of 19 May seem to indicate that he was a 401st BS man attached to 94th BG and was lost aboard a 94th BG aircraft.