View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2005, 18:32

Jeepasaurusrex
Dirk, thanks for the reply. Expanding Katterbach? Last I heard, they were going to shut it down! LOL. Like I said, I wish I could have explored the post more while I was there (was to busy doing other young GI stuff, like doing my part to keep the local beer joints in business)! I remember a stairwell in our barracks across the street (Bismark Kassern), you went down to the basement, and it kept going, but was bricked over. Makes ya wonder where it went. I also remember exploring many tunnels in the area surrounding post. One of which headed strait for the barracks, but was bricked over. We found the other end of it in a room we used for storage in the basement, it too was bricked over.

I have only seen a couple of pictures of the airfield from WW2. One of which showed the runway, and an overlay of the picture showed that we only used 1/2 of the width, and about 1000' of the original runway. What I did find interesting, was that most of the airfield was surrounded by what looked like a dike, which I attributed to the rumor of them flooding it during the day. Any pictures of Katterbach back in WW2? I don't know why, but that place sticks in my mind. 8)