View Single Post
Old 25th September 2020, 09:49
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough
Re: Friedrich Schein + 22.11.1942

Hello,

Thanks for the correction Matti.

Just a word about the information I posted (minus umlauts incidentally), on the Luftwaffe personnel lost on 21 November, 1942. The information I posted from Byron's book was posted in good faith, but I was dubious about the number of casualties (9), aboard a Ju 88!

After seeing Matti's information, I re-checked Byron's book. He provides the following information (p.313):

Kgr. z.b.V. 900.

Besatzungen und Verluste.

FF. Uffz. Max Huber, Ju 52 (DG+KF, W.Nr. 7556) 100% m. BM. Ofw. Otto Jank, BF. Uffz. Helmuth Lother, BS. Ogfr. Erich Wurl, alle (+) 21.11.42 Insel Euboea (umlaut following 'o'). That's it!

Byron makes no mention of any connection between the two entries (pp.248-9 & 313), in fact he seems totally unaware there was any connection at all!

The last three times I have used this expensive book to check some facts, most of the information eventually proved to be, incomplete, or incorrect. The picture quality is poor (at times), and the layout deplorable. It will be placed back on the shelves and in future, looked at for what it is, an expensive oddity, no more.

You live, and you learn (hopefully).

Col.