View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2008, 12:32

Iain Torrance is on a distinguished road
Hurricanes, Friendly Fire, 10.6.40, France, Fairey Battle, 103 Squ

103 ORB states for 10 June 40:
“Aircraft flown by F/O. Kelly on operations severely damaged by Hurricane aircraft who attacked without challenge when aircraft en route to target. F/O. Kelly compelled to return to base. “

Target was Vernon Bridge flying from the Echimines advanced landing ground. On way Kelly was attacked by 2 Hurricanes. Day flight, 1 hour flight time (havn’t got the map out but it should be possible to proximate the attack location)

I should point that that Peter Cornwell believes (in BoFT&N) this Battle was badly damaged following attack by Caudrons of GC 1/145 near Vernon 11.30 am. Aircraft a write-off.

There has been some discussion on separate thread - GC 1/145 10 June 1940 – that Cornwell’s source may be Gillet. Interestingly Gillet also attributes another 103 Squ loss that day GC 1/145. On the thread there is also the other possibility that a Battle was attacked by Polish pilots.

I would not expect an experienced pilot like Kelly to have got mixed up between Hurricanes and a Caudrons. So hoping that maybe Hurricane experts have something that would fit on this friendly fire with 2 Hurricanes? Lastly I certainly don’t think the Battle of Kelly was a write-off.

Welcome thoughts on this