View Single Post
Old 4th February 2018, 12:12
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: 4th Fighter Group on 21/5/43

All

Johannes has kindly answered me and advice that the microfilms clearly states a Hoffmann (no given name) from 11./JG 54 was making a claim vs a Thunderbolt on this day.

This is the only claimed Thunderbolt and it is, at least not at the present, possible to identify any further claims. Rathenow is only listed as making a claim for a B-17 earlier during the day.

Which Hoffmann it was can only be a matter of speculation, so I leave that out of the equation and unless someone has a FB to prove his point, it will probably remain a speculation only.

Why and from where Team Prien has received details which made them change Hoffmann into Rathenow is unknown by Johannes, and unless one from the team clearly state why and what sources have been used, at least I will continue with Hoffmann for that claim. The microfilms are not Gospel and we all know Johannes has found several discrepancies, so Hoffmann may after all be wrong, but if so we need proof and not just statements.

Neither is it possible to verify Caldwell's claim that all three Thunderbolts were shot down by JG 26. Did two of them collide? That is also possible, but so far there is no proof of that either.

Cheers
Stig