View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2008, 22:03

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road
Fw 58 Weihe DC+EX of 6./JG 5 photo in a book

Hello!

I was recently paging one Finnish local history book in a bookshop. The book is titled "Staden och hakkorset" (yes, Swedish) by Patrik Sundqvist and tells wartime German/Germany related stories from Jakobstad (in Finnish: Pietarsaari) town.

The book also contains one short chapter of a fatal Ju 52 accident. But the real item for me was one photo of whole another plane and incident. This photo shows a Fw 58 on belly on a field being dismantled. Stammkennzeihen is very likely DC+EX (EX is cleary seen). On nose can be seen the 6./JG 5 emblem, shamrock on diamond-shaped shield.

With the quick look on the book I did not notice any additional info about of the photo. I couldn't find anything about the accident/incident in Hannu Valtonen's books or in Mombeeks JG 5 opus either.

If I had to guess the period of time is 1942 or so, but can be also any date till mid-September 1944. There looks not to be snow on ground, though. The emergency landing took place at Jakobstad (Pietarsaari) area. Location was given in the photo caption, but I already managed to forget it.

Does anyone of the forum members have additional info about this plane (WNr and so on) and incident? Casualties?

Thanking in advance,
Kari

BTW Photo source given was "Privat foto".