Thread: Fulmar claims
View Single Post
Old 11th November 2019, 11:11

rof120 is on a distinguished road
French pride etc.

Quote: I listed Vichy France solely because of it's conflicts with the Commonwealth armies in Syria and Operation Torch

- I see. I haden't thought of these operations in connection with "Fulmars". I don't think they were used in "Torch" (too weak a fighter type) but possibly in the conflict around Syria (regrettably I have no idea but I don't think so either).

Quote: "To dismiss Vichy as a minor player in the conflict might have incited even more Gallic ire from elsewhere"

- Hmmm, I don't think so. Even the most fanatic French patriots or admirers of Pétain are aware that Vichy-France in fact WAS a minor player because of all the limitations and surveillance from the German side. Besides, de Gaulle's forces were a minor player too. Their contribution was useful but inevitably small at least until the landings took place in southern France (St-Tropez-Agay region near Toulon) on August 15, 1944, with a non-negligible French participation at last.

Quote: "I do understand those that fought to defend France as part of the Vichy state did it out of an interpretation of their duty which was different from the Free French. I would draw attention to my many posts on the post-1942 French air force as credentials of my interest and admiration of France and the French. As a proud Scot the "Auld Alliance" burns deeply in my heart."

- Hmmm, part of the French Vichy-lovers were clearly Nazi-lovers too. They really wanted Germany to win the war, yiiks.

The post-1942 French air force… Well, they fought as bravely and as well as usual but they had no other possibility than flying American and even British aircraft. Here, too, their contribution was useful and welcome (at least after a while) but I would consider it minor too, except perhaps from August 1944 on, when a large part of France was liberated and possibly thousands of French aircrew were available again (and needed training on more recent AC before taking part in the fighting). In any case the Allies would have won exactly as they did, even without any French contribution in the air.

Perhaps you noticed that I am NOT a fanatic, quick-tempered Frenchman, becoming immediately furious after the slightest criticism. Not at all. In spite of this I am able to think independently: for example the MeK attack by the British navy was TERRIBLE even from the point of view of British interests. I think possibly any French leader other than Pétain would have ordered a very powerful reaction against British shipping in the Atlantic (where the French fleet was still very strong, in particular fast cruisers and submarines) - Germany allowing this - even still without declaring war on the UK. After all the UK didn't declare war on France before attacking it… (just like Hitler did for Poland, Denmark, Norway, the USSR...).

Please don't get me wrong: I am not a friend of Pétain's, not at all. I find him terrible and very hypocritical but this is off topic. The Free French did the right thing, which 1940-42 needed an immense amount of courage, leaving their country and their loved ones to fight a triumphant and seemingly invincible great power (Nazi-Germany) - at a cost.

Oh, you're a Scot - very good. Let's be allies and fight those horrible Englishmen together with all Irishmen (to all Englishmen here: just joking! I'm not going to sink your "Queen Elisabeth" in retaliation for Mers-el-Kébir!). Can you see their sneaky scheme to sink the whole EU (again) with their incredible Brexit-show?

Last edited by rof120; 13th November 2019 at 17:06.