View Single Post
Old 17th May 2005, 09:55

robert_schulte is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Hitler's Miracle Weapons, Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest
Recently, a German book was published saying that traces of radioactivity were found in Germany at the site of an atom bomb test. Impossible?
Ed,
I guess, You are referring to the book „Hitlers Bombe“ of Rainer Karlsch. I can give You some additional information about this, since this book and its theses has been critically examined in a program of the German TV.

I know, that “science” on TV has to be looked on very critically, however here is a short summary:

Karlsch proposes two possible places for a German nuclear test: one on the island Rügen in the Baltic Sea and the other one in the mythical place Ohrdruf in Thuringia.

To prove or disprove these tests, some nuclear experts examined soil samples for residues of fissile material from both places. Results:

For the island Rügen there is no evidence at all, that that a nuclear test did happen there.

For Ohrdruf the case is different. According to the results of the examination of the soil samples, the nuclear experts are sufficiently certain, that “there is something nuclear”. So, traces of Uranium-235 as well as Lithium-6 were found. These isotopes are needed for a nuclear weapon, however, they also appear in smaller concentrations in nature. For a final statement, the soil samples of Ohrdruf will be scrutinized very closely in the following months.

And last but not least, according to the experts it is absolutely certain, that these nuclear traces cannot be relics of the Soviet army in the former GDR.

If You are into German, You can read a summary of the program on:

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFde/inhalt/27/0,1872,2279195,00.html

To turn pages, you have to click on the text on the bottom of the page below “Weiter mit”

Regards
Robert