View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2020, 03:47
Alter Hase

HGabor has a spectacular aura aboutHGabor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Hartmann: claims vs. victories

Craig, thank you very much for the attached docs. It will definitely take for awhile to go through them in detail. For now, I just emphasize that my numbers came strictly from the verified losses of the other (soviet) side. Since I did not just want to make short statements of victories and/or overclaims, I listed all soviet plane losses of the days, when Hartmann claimed a plane, at least between October 27-December 9, 1944 with details. (This way you can also judge if a certain case could be a victory, or just an overclaim.)
I know, Hartmann's claims is a huge job and I think nobody would be able to complete it alone. My calculation of Hartmann's approx. 100 real WWII victories comes from his overclaim/victory-ratio between Oct 27 - Dec 9, 1944. (~28 claims) If for any reason his claims were more accurate in the earlier, or in the later stages of the war, then certainly this number will change accordingly.

At this point I still think that if the soviets lost no plane on a specific day/time/location, then it does not really matter what theories and numbers we use, all of these claims for the day will remain just overclaims. (Even if the planes were really hit and damaged by Hartmann, - that I do not doubt.)

Cheers,
Gabor