View Single Post
Old 1st February 2008, 07:17

Qui-Gon62 is on a distinguished road
Re: F-84 shot up on March 10th, 1953

Dear Horst,
as English is the language in this forum, I will stick to it. I have joined not too long ago and are interested in the same subject as you as in USAFE history in general.
The tail number of this particular Thunderjet is indeed still unknown. It could either be in the range of 49-21xx through 49-23xx as the 36th and 86th FBWs received 150 F-84Es from these production blocks in September 1950 under "Fox Able 3" or in the range 51-5xx through 51-6xx. A batch of FY 51 F-84Es was delivered in 1952 to compensate the high losses due to accidents. To make matters even more complicated, the 36th FBW operated a small number of ex-20 FBW F-84Gs in spring 1953 before converting to the F-86F from August (to the best of my knowledge). So, this is another possibility, if perhaps not very likely.
I have indexed many 1953 accident reports for Aviation Archeology including the relevant period (should be on their website soon). The shootdown is definitely not included in the accident reports from 10 March, but this is no exception as it was a combat loss, not an accident. All other combat losses (there were many in Korea) aren't included either. Although not answering the question, I hope this is helpful though.
Best wishes,
Gerhard

P.S. I would be interested in contacting you about the wing's quarterly records. Please drop me a note.