Thread: 2059th AEAFFP
View Single Post
Old 29th October 2010, 01:11
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road
Re: 2059th AEAFFP

I see that you have your answer concerning the 2059th Engineer Fire Fighting Platoon that was attached to the 405th FG, from other sites.

However, I have a question for you - did your uncle 2nd Lt Earl M Berndt or his men mention to you whether they had anything to do with the rescue of USAAF personel, RN fire fighters and civilans at Christchurch on 29th June 1944? This is known in Christchurch as the Foxwood Avenue disaster, when a P-47D crashed in to homes at the end of the runway. The pilot 2nd Lt Vincent James survived the crash in the morning but instead of being stood down, he was told to take off in another P-47D for a mission in the afternoon and sadly crashed again in to the home next to his earlier crash killing the pilot. The aircraft caught fire and as people rushed to the area to help, the bombs on the aircraft exploded killing many people - some say between 13 and 16 according accounts.

I know the USAAF fire engine was on the scene shortly after, so it must have been from the 2059th.

Lastly do you know what time of vehicle the 2059th would have used as a fire engine?