View Single Post
Old 20th November 2015, 23:11

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road
Re: Just how would you defeat ISIS?

Dear Richard,

I am afraid that Nick, John and Ruy will shut down this thread, for reasons that they have explained several times before. One alternative to such a thread that I can think of, within the confines of the forum, is the private messaging system. This is because any member "may send a message to up to 5 people at a time". Another alternative would be a multi-member email discussion, but these are disliked by many, for obvious reasons.

As a matter of personal opinion, I think a discussion between members on this subject would be both useful and interesting. However, I do not think having such a discussion in a publicly viewable thread such as this would lead to anything apart from strained feelings and frustration. I would be very happy to participate in a private discussion on this subject if an appropriate mechanism was found. I think that the historical parallels that you suggested, Richard, are hihgly appropriate and can lead to a much more serious understanding of the problems in the present.

I will finish by sorting out an issue which arose in the previous thread and is not in any sense connected to you, Richard.
All fluent users of English will know that the word mulatto is exceptionally offensive, but for those who do not, here is an extract from the Oxford English Dictionary:
"mulatto, n. and adj.
1. A person having one white and one black parent. Freq. more generally: a person of mixed race resembling a mulatto. Cf. metis n. 1, quadroon n.
Now chiefly considered offensive."
The same remark applies to the word quadroon, for equally obvious reasons.

Warm regards,

Paul

Last edited by Paul Thompson; 20th November 2015 at 23:13. Reason: words underlined for clarity