View Single Post
Old 30th October 2008, 09:30

Bernard is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe losses. Rhubarb 22/05/1941.

Good morning to all.

On the 22nd of may 1941, P/O D.B.Ogilvie and Sgt E. Malczewski , No.601 Squadron flew a rhubarb operation to St. Omer area, claiming 1 Ju52 probable and 1 Bf109 destroyed:

AIR 50/165.p 220.P/O OGILVIE.Date: 22nd May 1941.Flight: " A ". Squadron: No. 601.Number of enemy aircraft: Three.Type of enemy aircraft: Me.109' s ( Two ) Ju.52 ( One ). Time attack was delivered: 1210 hours.Place attack was delivered: Over Forêt de Aperlecques. ( France ).Height of enemy: 300 feet.Enemy casualties: One Me.109 destroyed. One Ju.52 probable ( the latter shared with P/O MALCZWESKI. ( Poilish ).Our casualties: Nil.( r ) GENERAL REPORT:-I was Red One and attacked a Ju.52, firing a half-second burst at 200 yards from quarter head-on. The center air-screw stopped dead. I re-attacked from below starboard quarter seeing large panelbreak away - or possibly aileron. On this second attack I fired for 2/3 seconds with 12 guns. Noreturn fire came from the Ju.52. This E/A was later attacked by Red Two who caused the port engine to slow up and emit smoke. I claim half a probable in the Ju.52 wich was last seen at 250feet loosing height gradually. Half a mile behind the Ju.52 we met two Me.109' s and I shot into cloud and dived out head-on onto the foremost Me.109 firing at it from 200 ffet and closing to 50.The cockpit cover flew off and the E/A hurtled to earth and blew up. The burning wreckage was seen by red Two.One Me.109 destroyed.One Ju.52 probably destroyed ( shared with P/O Malczewski ) ( Polish ).Signed. OGILVIE.Pilot Officer.

AIR 50/165.p 197.P/O MALCZEWSKI. ( POLISH ).Date: 22nd May 1941.Flight: " A ". Squadron: No. 601.Number of enemy aircraft: Three.Type of enemy aircraft: Me.109' s and Ju.52.Time attack was delivered: 1210 hours.Place attack was delivered: Over Forêt de Aperlecques. ( France ).Height of enemy: 300 feet.Enemy casualties: One Ju.52 probable ( shared with P/O OGILVIE ).Our casualties: Nil.( r ) GENERAL REPORT:-I was Red Two when my section met a Ju.52 at 300 feet. Red One made two quick attacks on the Ju.52, stopping the centre engine dead, and causing an aileron or large panel to fall off. When RedOne broke waway I attacked the Ju.52 from port above, firing a burst at 50 yards wich caused theport engine to slow up and emit smoke. When last seen the E/A was at 250 feet over an area inwich landing was impossible ( forest ) gradually losing height after vainly trying to pull up into cloud. No return fire was experienced. I claim half a probable in the Ju.52.Half a probable Ju.52.Signed: Malczewski.Pilot Officer ( Polish ).

Could anyone please confirm these losses and give details ?

Many thanks.

Bernard.

Last edited by Bernard; 30th October 2008 at 09:31. Reason: mistake