View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2017, 09:41

JYoung is on a distinguished road
Re: Kayaba Ka-1 and Ka-2 autogyros

I am sorry for my belated response.

Only Imperial Japanese Army operated “Ka-go” type I and II. Ka-gos were assigned to Army 2nd Shipping Flight Squadron, and carried out ASW missions at Korea Channel and Tsushima Straits from January 1945.

Japanese authoritative aircraft books say that Ka-go type II was an imported Kellett KD-1 and did not produce in series at Japan. But Tamate, a researcher of Ka-go, supposes that the type II was produced 19 at the maximum and the five to six type IIs were deployed to the 2nd Shipping Flight Squadron.

In November 1944 several Ka-gos were gone on board an Army troopship Akitsumaru whose destination was Philippine. Ka-gos’ missions were unknown but Tamate suggests artillery observations at Philippine. On 15 November a U.S. submarine sank Akitsumaru with Ka-gos before reaching Philippine.

Source: Go OKUMOTO, Nihon Rikugun no Kôkûbokan (Japanese Army’s Aircraft Carriers), (Tokyo; Dainihonkaiga, 2011); Tadashi NOZAWA, Nihon kôkûki ziten (Encyclopedia of Japan’s Aircraft), Vol. I, 1910 – 1945, (Tokyo; Model Art, 1989); Eiji TAMATE, Rikugun Ka-gô kansokuki (Japanese Army Observation Plane Ka-go), (Tokyo; Kôjinsha, 2002).

Best regards,
JY