View Single Post
Old 27th January 2005, 18:47
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Dear Richard,

Generally, when I bring up the subject of German atomic weapons, the immediate response is emotional and negative. However, I have been putting some research time into this.

In the first volume of this series by Friedrich Georg, go to page 124, item 139. A.P.W./U (Ninth Air Force) 96/1945, 373.2 of 19 August 1945, Investigation, Research, Developments and Practical Use of the German Atomic Bomb, Pkts Nos 47 to 53, published by COMNAVEU, 1946.

Further, and I am in no way encouraging you, or anyone, to waste your time and money, from the book Critical Mass by Carter Plymton Hydrick: page 304 reproduces part of a page from the "New York Times," dated August 26, 1945. Headline: 17-Minute Oversea Rocket Plane Among Germany's War Secrets. A relevant quote: "Besides an atomic bomb, on which, as has been made known, the germans had made considerable progress." Considerable progress? By the way, the source of this report was the Office of War Information and based on CIOS Reports.

Atomic bomb components, including fuses, were found aboard U-234. The author notes via official records that no suitable fuses would be ready in the U.S. in time for dropping atom bombs on Japan. Re: cargo of U-234, see "U.S. National Archives II, a green, hardback ledger book with the title "CASH" printed on the front lists a multitude of drawings and parts carried on board U-234, and is marked as such inside, including 'pressurized cabin parts,' various pages, RG 38/370-15-05-07 box 3; Robert Wilcox, Japan's Secret War, p. 141."

I can provide other citations if you'd like.

Regards,
Ed