View Single Post
Old 7th February 2013, 04:36

rborst is on a distinguished road
Re: Captain Edward E. Hunt KIA Nov. 8, 1944

Hi qltngal-
I came across this thread via Google while I was researching a photo I have of my dad painting some nose art on a P-51. The nose art takes the form of a person's name. I was trying to find that person's name via Google. My father's name is Alfred Borst. He was a crew chief (his description) with the 353rd fighter squadron.

You mentioned in your initial post that your dad's P-51 was named Jeanne Mio and that's the name my dad is painting on the P-51 engine cowl shown in the attachment. In the background you can see another cowling panel that he has finished painting that looks like it might read Ready Eddy. I can't say for sure that either of these panels belonged to the aircraft your father flew but it would be a peculiar coincidence if there were two P-51s named Jeanne Mio.

I thought you might like to have this photo to add to your collection of keepsakes of your father's wartime service. The photo attached is quite small due the posting regulations of the forum. If you would like a larger version please send me a PM and I would happy to email this to you.

The number 824 is stamped on the back of the photo. No other information was written on the photo so I don't know when or where the picture was taken or who the photographer was.

Finally, may I ask who Jeanne Mio is?