View Single Post
Old 20th February 2006, 18:27
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough
Re: Me 109 K-4 Unit? Schwerin Jüterbog Damm --> Ofw Heinz Rühlmann

Hello Roger,

I think you are on the wrong track here. After studying the logbook I believe Ofw. Rühlmann was retrained as a Nah-Aufklärer in a Bf 109 and not as a fighter. Jüterbog-Damm was the base for NAG 102 and later II.(Nah)/AG 103, both equipped with 109's. Look also at flight 1267 and 1270, which clearly indicate recce training. I would assume that until 12.3.45 Ofw. Rühlmann trained with II./AG 103 at Jüterbog-Damm, occasionally flying missions (rather common at training units at that stage in the war). After ~10.3.45 (II./NAG 103 was disbanded at that date) he must have flown with a recce-unit at Schwerin. Michael Holm's site says that 2./NAG 2 flew from Schwerin from 3.45-4.45 but I have also records that say differently. I would assume the answer lies also in the recce-units he previously belonged too. Do you have info on these units? Perhaps this will give the answer to what unit he belonged to in March, April 1945. The details in the logbok concerning his missions indicate what he encountered during his recce-flights.

regards,

John.