View Single Post
Old 15th May 2012, 21:29

phasselgren is on a distinguished road
Re: Probable E/a by P/O Denby, 600 Sqn night 27/28 Sept 1940

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. My report has the Reference F.C.C.R./900/40, dated 13.9.40.

All information you have found in the report seems to indicate that the first aircraft was successfully attacked but there is still some confusion regarding this claim especially as the ORB has a different conclusion.

Regarding the letter dated 30 December 1940. Was the claim by Denby completely rejected or downgraded to damaged?

Since I wrote the first post I found the citation for Denby´s DFC:

“Pilot Officer Gordon Alfred DENBY (80812), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 600 Squadron.
One night in February, 1941, (actually the night 13/14 March) whilst on patrol this officer sighted a Heinkel in flying across his bows and by determined and accurate attacks he shot it down. Previously, he has attacked and probably destroyed two other hostile aircraft at night. Pilot Officer Denby has taken part in numerous operational night flights, often in bad weather, and his zeal and initiative in these duties have been an inspiration to all.”

In Those Other Eagles by Christopher Shores the only claim made by Denby before the night 13/14 March was on the night 27/28 September 1940. This may indicate two probables this night but I have found that citations are not always reliable when looking for information about claims.

Peter