View Single Post
Old 18th November 2023, 23:23

Roundway is on a distinguished road
Dornier 17 of Wekusta 1 Ob.d.L 09/05/1940

Page 193 of Kington & Selinger's Luftwaffe Meteorological Reconnaissance Units 1938-1945 notes the loss of the above aircraft. Their brief account account records it was shot down off the north-east coast of Scotland and that an air-sea rescue salvaged the dead aircrew and may also have searched the floating wreck. The only crew member named was Reg. Rat. Dr Friedrich-Wilhelm Nitze (the meteorologist).

I think the account includes an element of wishful thinking partly because I'm unable to find Nitze's name on Kracker, which suggests the aircrew were not recovered.

In the event I discovered this loss was recounted by F/O Gerry Edge, based at Wick, on page 27 of We Never Slept - the Story of 605 Squadron by Ian Piper. Flying Hurricanes his three-man Flight was ordered to search for a bandit approaching Scapa Flow from the south-east. Whilst flying over Pentland Firth after his two companions returned to Wick to refuel, he spotted an aircraft in the distant south-west approaching Wick. He engaged the aircraft, a Dornier, over Wick. Although the rear gunner opened fire, Edge himself held fire until he was very close, hitting the Dornier's starboard engine - oil from which covered his windscreen.

At that moment one of the pilots who had refuelled, rejoined the action and fired as the Dornier disappeared into cloud. Edge knew the cloud sheet broke up 10 miles to the east and reached clear sky just as the Dornier, starboard engine and wing on fire, broke cloud. As he attacked again one of the crew bailed out before the aircraft crashed into the sea.

Edge returned to Wick, refuelled and returned to the location to guide the Rescue Launch to the survivor. In the event the German airman died as the launch reached harbour.

Would anyone have any details of the Dornier; especially its crew, as one of them must/should be buried in the UK and I should be able to find him on Kracker.

Most of the above comes from Piper's book, but I've also referred to Edge's combat report, although the important description of the action is missing (AIR50/169/50)

Brian