View Single Post
Old 25th July 2020, 04:38

Andre Stewart is on a distinguished road
Re: ZG26 - Bf110C film Summer 1940

Hello all,

I was catching up on old posts and came across this link -- a truly amazing film, and what's probably more surprising is the leeway given to the film maker! You get a really good feel of what unit life was like then ...

The owner of the movie cam was obviously a ground crewman, and all footage consistently show activities of the 1./ZG26. And to build on what has already been shared, I'd like to attempt an ID of a few other individuals. Do note some clips only show them for a few seconds, so I welcome any comments or opinions from other members --

Lt Werner Thierfelder [10:36:09 to 10:36:21]
First off, we've a 12-second clip showing a youthful looking Lt Thierfelder and his BF [rank and name not known] upon their return from a mission, probably in France. Their Bf-110 had sustained some damage, which other Staffel members are closely examining.

Hptm Wilhelm Spies, StKap 1./ZG26 from Aug 1940
There are at least 4 separate clips showing Hptm Wilhelm Spies --
1) 10:17:19 to 10:17:27 - probably taken in Russia, you can glimpse his RK here
2) 10:34:47 to 10:34:55 - probably taken in France
3) 10:36:28 to 10:36:44 - as above
4) 10:57:23 to 10:57:34 - location not certain, mixed with Balkans campaign footage

In almost all clips, Spies is seen upon his return from a mission, relating his experience to his audience with much excitement and hand gesticulation, perhaps because he'd gained a victory? And since we know fairly little about this officer, these film snippets are a welcome addition.

Hptm Wilhelm Makrocki, Gr Komm I./ZG26 [10:54:21 to 10:54:50]
A very nice full half-minute segment showing Hptm Makrocki being welcomed back from a mission. You can briefly see an 'A' on his aircraft which is not white, meaning he was flying U8+AB [likely green A], the Gr Komm's machine. Moreover, the presence of foreign officers [Rumanian? I'm not sure] indicates that the clip was probably taken in Apr-May 1941, prior to Makrocki's death on 21 May. Once again, Makrocki is another chap about whom little is known, hence this is an excellent piece of footage.

Obfw Karl Kennel [10:57:15 to 10:57:22]
Lastly, you can clearly make out Obfw Karl Kennel talking to an air force Oblt who appears not to be flying personnel. Kennel can seen in the same segment as Spies no.4 mentioned above.

One interesting practice of German pilots is the 'waggling of wings' upon their return from a successful mission. You read about it in pilots' personal accounts and I believe much is known about the 109 pilots doing it, but in a few clips here you actually get to see it being done by the 110 pilots as well!

Andre