View Single Post
Old 22nd March 2019, 22:06

Dan History is on a distinguished road
Re: How many tonnes of bombs did the Luftwaffe drop during the Blitz?

Gentlemen, thank you for taking this discussion forward during my enforced absence. My responses and comments follow below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
The slow way to find out is to go to the TSAMO site and add up the figures
Nick,

I am very glad that Chris has already done this, and more, it seems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSwank View Post
There is a chart at the end of this article, taken from a book by John Ray The Night Blitz: 1940–1941.
Thank you for drawing my attention to this, RSwank. All of this has caused me to go back to Richard Overy's book and clarify the nature and source of the data presented therein.

I took my information from 'Table 2.3: Major Night Raids on the British Isles and Weight of Bombs (Tonnes), 12 August 1940–26 June 1941'. Thus, we are looking at information concerning major night raids only, not all raids. 31,822 tonnes is in fact a sum that I calculated myself, based on the totals in the table, give as: "HE Bombs 28,706 / Incendiaries 3,116"

Richard Overy's source is the Bundesarchiv document, BA-MA, RL 2-IV/27, Otto Bechtle, ‘Der Einsatz der Luftwaffe gegen England, 1940–1943’, 2 Apr 1944, which includes an appendix, ‘Grossangriffe bei Nacht gegen Lebenszentren Englands in der Zeit 12.8.1940–26.6.1941’.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Going View Post
Hi Dan

I have been working on tonnages (metric) aimed at, and/or dropped on, the UK throughout the war based on e.g. intercept data, contemporary UK estimates, and what knot. I stress this very much represents a work in progress but the figures are beginning to look fairly robust, and in line with the Richard Overy Bombing War figures
Chris,

I am very impressed with your work! I appreciate this would have taken a lot of time and effort. This is exactly the sort of information that I have been looking for, I have sent you a privat message.

Kind regards,

Dan