View Single Post
Old 16th November 2017, 03:41

ArticWarspite is on a distinguished road
Re: Luftwaffe combat reports Belgium 25/26 June 1942

Thanks Chris,

I'll look that up.

There could have been many possibilities about when and how the plane came down, but seeing as there is no detail on any of it, I have to start with the most likely scenario first.
The reasons I think it was a fighter than shot it down were;
a) There were no survivors
b) There was no known distress or radio messages sent out
c) 3 of the crew washed up separately over a large area while the remaining crew were never found

In my mind, a fighter attack seems the most logical fitting with what is known. But I could very well be wrong hence wanting to research it and find out.

Will try and obtain a copy of that book and will see where we go from there.

If anyone already has a copy of the book, then I'll put my Great Uncle's details here in case someone already knows:

William Harvey Flower (Sergeant)
5 January 1920- 26 June 1942
Serial Number 412472
Wireless Operator, Vickers Wellington MK1C serial number DV778 KJ-A
Base: Steeple Morden (satellite airfield) 11 Operational Training Unit
Raid on Bremen, Germany 25/6/42-26/6/42
1000 Bomber raid.
Take off: 2314
Missing in action. Presumed Killed North Sea 26/6/42
Panel 117 Runnymeade Memorial Surrey

Crew of Wellington MK1C DV778/A
Sgt J C Cubitt.
Sgt W H Fowler RNZAF.
Sgt R J Amish RNZAF.
Sgt S L Wilton RNZAF.
F/Sgt F W Mutton.
Sgt R J Parish RNZAF

Summary of facts
For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume Two: Fates 1915-1943) :

Thu 25/Fri 26 Jun 1942
Bomber Command
Raid on Bremen, Germany (by 960 aircraft - 50 lost)
11 Operational Training Unit, RAF (Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire - 91 Group)
Wellington IC DV778/A - took off at 2314 captained by Sgt J C Cubitt, RAF, on same raid as the above, and brought down into the sea in or near the Heligoland Bight. The captain and navigator Flower are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial. The body of navigator Parish later washed ashore near Cuxhaven and was buried there, but later reinterred at Becklingen, 17km south of Soltau. The New Zealand wireless operator-air gunner was recovered from the harbour entrance at Westeraccumersiel, opposite the island of Langeoog, and buried at Wittmund alongside the body of an RAF crew member, but both were later reinterred at Sage, 24km south of Oldenburg
Navigator(?): NZ412472 Sgt William Harvey FLOWER, RNZAF - Age 22. 75hrs. 1st op.

Thanks for your help!

Nyle