View Single Post
Old 10th March 2010, 21:03

Julian is on a distinguished road
Re: Luftwaffe units operating over North Herts/south cambs night of 18/19th February 1944

Hi all I have not been on this forum for ages, due to research work, but just googled "Orwell Dornier" as this is one of my favourite crash sites. As regards the Orwell Dornier I was one of the team that investigated the crash site in 1991, finding a boss and reduction gear and numerous other artefacts inc BMW badges. Recently I contacted one of the German company`s whose manufacturers plates we found in the wreckage..they are still going strong and fascinated about the finds. In my book War Torn Skies Cambridgeshire I have a very large section dedicated to this incident at Orwell. In fact recently through local research I have managed to obtain what is so far the only known photograph of the wreckage at Orwell. I have also written a 7 page article with many illustrations that will feature imminently in Britain at War magazine once again on the Orwell Dornier incident. I have traced the last surviving Homeguard member who went to crash site, have wartime photographs of both him and of one of the men at the Croydon ROC post that spotted the Dornier flying over head.
I have also written another book War Torn Skies Hertfordshire in which Nuthampstead features quite alot. Well done with the museum what a fantastic achievement. Anyhow just thought the above may be of interest to you
Kind regards
Julian Evan-Hart