View Single Post
Old 28th September 2017, 03:32

WidorS is on a distinguished road
Re: Danish Pilot Peter Horn - aircraft info wanted

Hello. Not sure whether to open a new tread about this or post the info here. I'm mainly interested to find more information about Hptm. Poul Sommer.

So this document from the Bundesarchieve states that he was transferred to Greece and made Staffelkaptaen of the new IV. Group of the JG 27. At least on paper.

http://www.jagdgeschwader4.de/media/...70622_0003.pdf

Other sources claim that he was send to Greece in charge of scouting out new airfields and guarding them. And partisan retaliation. This last piece of information, if it is true, really freaks me out. Was he indeed one of the relatively few "bad apples" in the Fighter units? He spends most of his time in Africa in the Stabschwarm, which could indicate, he didn't really get along very well with the other pilots. And then, a relatively successful pilot, is taken out of action and put in charge of security and furthermore send back to Denmark, where he quickly becomes one of the most hated men in the country and sentenced to death (but later pardoned to 12 years in the can). What a career.
"When the young new pilots arrive from school", states Steinhoff in his book "Over the Straits of Messina", "they behave cocky and militaristic. But after the first couple of missions where they realize the brutality of the air war and they have shat themselves, they become much more quite and mature."
Well, that obviously didn't apply to Hptm. Sommer. He simply was "kicked out" or frozen out of the Fighter Unit because he was a die-hard until the last day. At least, that's my theory.

Cheers