View Single Post
Old 11th February 2017, 13:54

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road
Re: Did KG 26 hit the cruiser Molotov in 1942?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
Whilst you could infer the absence of »greifen«, it just looks like the clipped language that armed forces use the world over: "From 22.45 hrs. own torpedo aircraft against Russ. formation."
Nick, thank you for a more literal translation of the original German. I agree that the reference to “torpedo aircraft” should be specific, but I am surprised by the absence of further comment, such as “n torpedoes dropped” or “hits observed”. I may be talking out of turn, for Andrey has seen the original document and I have not.

It is an interesting question in and of itself whether a He 111 H-6 LT could be converted back for use as a conventional bomber more easily than a Ju 88 A-4 LT . The pictures at the end of this link would suggest that the Heinkel conversion was relatively extensive, so my original hypothesis about the use of these aircraft as level bombers is probably wrong - https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...-2#entry412541

I would gladly read through the material, if only I had time. On a further dive into DEFE 3, there does not appear to be any material for these specific days, but there may be something within the great HW forest!

Warm regards,

Paul