View Single Post
Old 17th January 2019, 23:35
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Using Ultra to research the Luftwaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Dennis View Post
Thanks Nick, that is what I thought. It may well be that this is the correct way to read the meaning of 'R' and 'T'. The thing is, I am not sure whether or not it is a coincidence that 'R' and 'T' appear in this collection of 'Reports' and 'Teleprints'.

The reason is that there are many reports but only a few have the 'R' in their individual title. Look at the example given by Larry: MSS/R. 283(C)/32.
On the contrary, they have CX/MSS/R at the head of the page, and then each individual item has a number (I don't have Larry's example but my nearest page is attached.

Quote:
This just does not fit into the strict sequential profile of the bulk of the reports (for example CX/MSS/26 cited in my post #216). I have never spotted a break in the sequence of CX/MSS/ numbers and believe the 'R' series is, somehow, different. I don't have an answer, but I believe they are either from a specific source or were produced in response to specific requests for information.
The first ULTRAS were the CX/FJ series, then at the end of May 1940 this gave way to CX/JQ. At that stage there was no report/teleprint division although some of the reports were marked to indicate that they had been teleprinted.

In July 1941 they changed over to the MSS series. (I know this from the TNA catalogue, I have not looked at any 1941 files so far). MSS = Most Secret Source.

By mid-1942 the files consist of teleprints (e.g. CX/MSS/992/T9) which are individual signals to one or more commands, and alongside each set of these are some pages of numbered paragraphs with a common heading (in this case CX/MSS/992) which correspond directly to what later would be the CX/MSS/R… pages.

That system ends in mid-November 1943 with CX/MSS/3523. From then on, the "CX/MSS/R1(1) para. 1" + "CX/MSS/T1/1" system begins and continues through to the end of the war.

Quote:
While I am on the soapbox, it is worth pointing out that the 'T' series are, broadly speaking, reports on naval matters. Certainly in 1943 these were mostly to do with the Mediterranean/Aegean.
The naval ones I meant are the various ZTP… sub-series (Z = Zip, Admiralty-speak for ULTRA and TP = teleprint): ZTPG, ZTPGM, ZTPGU etc. You will get a few of these on the other files, e.g. where there is an air connection but there are vast numbers in the individual naval files.