View Single Post
Old 8th April 2005, 13:05
Hawk-Eye

Re: Fighter pilots' guts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan125
If we are going to endure any more of this diatribe - god knows why as it is not going to solve anything after nearly 65 years - can we have some consistency in references to people for the UK.

I, for one, am getting fed up with reading about England and Britain in the same article, sometimes even the same sentence "Remember what the British press and almost every Englishman wrote and said about the French" for example. Also, does that mean 50 million English people picked up a pen and wrote anti-French articles, perhaps that explains why the British Library in London is so large!!??

If you must continue, just make references to Britain, or British people as appropriate. Not all British people then and now are English, although the English make up the bulk of the UK population.

I also worry about newcomers to this excellent Forum and wonder what they make of it all - whatever their nationality

None of us were around at the time being written about - well maybe a few as babies, but certainly none in a position to influence matters.

Hawk-eye, give us all a break - please !!??
Here we go again! Always the same tricks : No counter-argument, no counteranalysis, only lamenting devoid of any basis : the usual old stuff from England (Britain if you prefer). You want me to unify my vocabulary? All right, I'm sorry : put "English" everywhere. Satisfied?Besides, Wales and Scotland are only poor English colonies having the bad luck of sharing the same island with the English imperialists so it is perfectly justified to use the most widely used phrase : England instead of the so-called "Great-Britain". Not to mention Ireland... When will your paratroopers once more shoot women and children peacefully walking in the streets of Derry (the English colonialists keep calling it "Londonderry" : no comment)? Tomorrow? In one month? In five years? Does it matter when? Can't you leave the Irish alone in Ireland? Even YOU can't do otherwise than calling the northern part of Ireland "Northern IRELAND". So it's Irish isn't it. When no stranger listens you call the Irish "cattle" and such things so you must understand I don't fancy call them "British", which actually means "English". Scots don't take kindly in being called "English" and they're damned right.
Don't ever try the same "peacekeeping" in "Londoncalais", Londonboulogne", "Londonparis" or "Londonmarseille".