View Single Post
Old 19th January 2013, 18:09

mjbollinger is on a distinguished road
Re: Using Ultra to research the Luftwaffe

Thanks, Bruce and Nick,

I do have all of the Hinsley volumes, and that is where the reference to the order of June 1941 comes from. I also have just about every other book written on this subject, including Bath's. Most are focused on activities after the US joined the war. My focus is the aggressive actions taken by the US in the Atlantic before Pearl Harbor.

My intent is to go back to primary sources and to try to correlate (1) the existence of UK decrypts of potential usefulness in persuading FDR to take more aggressive action, (2) a mechanism of transfer of that information to FDR (e.g., meetings with Churchhill, Halifax, Godfrey, Winant, Donovan, etc. and (3) consequent actions by the US that appear to have leveraged that intelligence. The "smoking gun" would be existence of information highly linked to Ultra decrypts in contemporary US intelligence records, though some of those records have never been declassified. (I am exploring ways to access those archives and may be able to do so.)

I am comfortable that DEFE 3 will give me the relevant naval enigma decrypts from the point at which they started in February 1941. The Luftwafe decrypts started in 1940 and it is that information I now seek. I don't think it is in DEFE 3 but instead in HW 5. So I will have to get access to the HW 5 records.

I am particularly keen to find the decrypts of 16 July 1940 since Stevenson has written (in a book criticized by many others for inaccuracies) that the King showed Donovan a decrypt from that day when he met with Donovan on 17 July 1940.

Thanks for the heads up on HW 48/1. I had not thought of looking there. Will do so.

Marty