View Single Post
Old 10th March 2015, 21:21

noggin is on a distinguished road
Re: In General, What is Everyone Doing?

I started out tracing 2 allied aircraft that crashed into fields belonging to my paternal grandad. One a Polish Fairey Battle and the other a RAF HCU Stirling. After tracing the aircraft I became intrigued on what happened to the crews. Unfortunately the Polish crew were all killed in the accident. The 2 crew from the Stirling I traced with the instructor having had and interesting career during the war before becoming an instructor and survived hostilities and moving to South Africa. Unfortunately his pupil was shot down on his first mission with the loss of all crew. After this I tried the harder job of tracing the German crews that bombed the local ball bearing factory. I had 2 great aunts and my maternal grandad that work there , my grandad being an aux fireman wasn't actual at work on the day but turned up for his fire brigade duties and was injured when a 2nd aircraft attacked later that day. I traced the 2 crews with help from people on here although some of it is on going. But this then lead onto other attack on the town most of which were not common knowledge to most locals I spoke to.