View Single Post
Old 9th January 2005, 18:57
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Of course being the kind of guy I am I just had to start with the Hans-Ekkehard Bob book once I had finished the title I was currently reading (Carrier Strike, Hammel).

Although I am now roughly halfway I still think the Bob book is not too bad, its a bit rough around the edges, but IMHO it certainly has a place in "autobiography corner".

Some of the insights, call it political or psychological, are important in that they serve us well in illustrating the mindset of a generation of germans. If taken out of said context some of these writings might actually lead some to throw down the book in disgust, but in doing so they miss an important glimpse that helps explain pre-WW2 germany and middle class germans.

Hans-Ekkehard Bob aptly named chapter 6: Political Views from Subjective Knowledge.

If you are looking at a work that will greatly expand your knowledge of the germany fighter pilots, their tactics or their material, than you should not buy this title. If you are interested in the general subject matter, than I think its a nice addition to your collection.

A little premature perhaps at half way the book, but its easy to say in one word something's crap, it is different to explain why you think so...or not.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;