View Single Post
Old 7th April 2014, 21:38
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking further info and photos on 27.05.40 Losses/Damages to I./KG3 Do17Zs

Hello,

We have six entries in the EoE LW loss DB involving I./KG3 Do17s on 27.05.40, about which I'm seeking further information, especially photos relating to the incidents. Does anyone have any information to help?

"May 27, 1940

I./KG3 Dornier Do17Z. Belly-landed damaged by fighters during sortie over Dunkirk. Crew unhurt. Aircraft 40% damaged but repairable. WHERE DID THIS A/C "BELLY LAND? TO WHICH STAFFEL DID IT BELONG. NAMES OF CREWMEN?"

2./KG3 Dornier Do17Z. Shot down by fighters over Gravelines. FF Lt Horst Hampel and BF Obergefr Richard Lock both killed, HS Uffz Werner Köllner baled out wounded – later returned, observer also believed baled out unhurt. Aircraft 100% write-off. WHERE DID IT ACTUALLY CRASH?

3./KG3 Dornier Do17Z. Returned badly damaged by AA and ground fire over Hondschoote, south-east of Dunkirk, 4.00 p.m. HS Gefr Johann Hölzle slightly wounded - admitted to hospital in Leipzig, rest of crew unhurt. Aircraft damage state not recorded.

3./KG3 Dornier Do17Z. Damaged by AA and ground fire near Hondschoote, south-east of Dunkirk, and crash-landed near Brussels 4.15 p.m. BM Uffz Herbert Hirche fractured skull during landing – died two days later, FF Uffz Heinrich Zimmermann, BO Gefr Fritz Schäfer, and BF Gefr Hans Brandt all slightly wounded. Aircraft 100% write-off. ANY PHOTOS KNOW FOR THIS INCIDENT?

3./KG3 Dornier Do17Z. Returned without bomb-aimer who fell through unsecured hatch during sortie to Dunkirk. BO Uffz Walter Rohde landed badly injured – later admitted to hospital in Dresden, rest of crew unhurt. Aircraft undamaged.

3./KG3 Dornier Do17Z. Believed shot down by F/L Treacy and P/O Stephen of No. 74 Squadron over Hondschoote, south-east of Dunkirk, crashed and burned out south-west of Fruges 4.00 p.m. FF Lt Werner Kornblum and crew unhurt. Aircraft 100% write-off. ANY PHOTOS KNOWN OF THIS WRECK SITE? NAMES OF OTHER CREWMEN?"

Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated.